Saudi blogger sentenced to arrest and beatings receives European Union award
By Robin EmmottBRUSSELS (Reuters) - Saudi blogger Raif Badawi, who has been sentenced to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in prison for insulting Islam and committing cyber crimes, has received the ...
By Robin EmmottBRUSSELS (Reuters) - Saudi blogger Raif Badawi, who was sentenced to 1,000 lashes and 10 years in prison for insulting Islam and committing cyber crimes, received the European Union prize for human rights and freedom of expression on Thursday.Badawi received the first of 50 scourges in January, triggering harsh criticism from Western countries of the kingdom's human rights record, including restrictions on religious freedom and the rights of Saudi women.This month in London, Badawi had already received the International Writer of Courage Award and was co-winner of the PEN Pinter Award.On Monday, Saudi Arabia's ambassador to the English capital threatened "potentially serious repercussions" for ties with Britain unless a more respectful relationship is developed.Syed Kamall, a British parliamentarian and member of the European Assembly who has nominated Badawi for EU honor, said: “Saudi Arabia can lock up and flog him, but will only strengthen ...
>>> Veja o artigo completo (Fonte)
- EPTC alters traffic around historic mansion in downtown Porto Alegre
- My mother worked as a maid, but never contributed to the welfare. Can she retire?
- Mother says Brazilian was forcibly admitted to psychiatric hospital in Russia
- Man is shot to death after boarding bus at Ring Road in Aparecida de Goiânia
- Jair Bolsonaro attack hits international press
- Patients complain about UPA capacity in Barreiro
- Ministry of Health authorizes transfer of lottery funds to Santas Casas
- Work suspended in avenue brings harm to residents
- The man who will have to pay $ 9 million to his lover's husband
- Majority of Russians want to end cigarette in public places
- Suspect to kill accountant in Meier arrested
- Goiano participates in reality show looking for new TV presenter
- Covers turn into music stars during contest
- Community residents in DF complain about lack of health posts
- Hooded men rob supermarket in Sao Paulo
- Army lieutenant is shot during assault attempt in northern area
- Plane wreckage will be removed from the Barra Sea on Wednesday morning (04)
- Justice revokes preventive arrest of Henrique Eduardo Alves
- Robbery robbery causes panic in CG supermarket
- Belo Horizonte - MG currently has 68 km of traffic.